Monday, January 7, 2008

What's Love Got to Do With It?

I'm reading the best selling book "Eat, Love, Pray" by Elizabeth Gilbert. Just finishing the first 3rd of the book and so far I'm not crazy about it. But I suspect that it will get much better. She's being very open about who she is and how she operates.

Sometimes when people are real they scare us.

She writes a funny description about her dysfunctional relationships. It looks familair to me. I know people who function this way.

While this does NOT describe my close friends I do know women who, even at my age, are still doing this:

...I disappear into the person I love. I am the permeable membrane. If I love you, you can have everything. You can have my time, my devotion, my (body,) my money, my family, my dog, my dog's money, my dog's time - everything. If I love you, I will carry for you all your pain, I will assume for you all of your debts (in every definition of the word), I will protect you from your own insecurity, I will project upon you all sorts of good qualities that you have never actually cultivated in yourself and I will buy Christmas presents for your entire family. I will give you the sun and the rain, and if they are not available, I will give you a sun check and and rain check. I will give you all of this and more, until I get so exhausted and depleted that the only way I can recover my energy is by becoming infatuated with someone else.



What Elizabeth Gilbert describes is certainly not what a Woo Woo woman is all about.

***