Monday, January 28, 2008

The 5th Commandment

I took my Boyfriend to our little neighborhood "Art" theater on Friday.

We saw the movie "The Savages" with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney. She's up for an Academy Award and he, of course, should be. (He should get an Academy Award for almost every movie he's ever made.)

I loved every minute of it. It's a tragicomedy. That's what my life has been so far. I don't expect it to change.

The movie's about two middle aged children of a (bad) father who find him dumped in their laps after not seeing him for many years. Reviewers have called them (the children) heartless and mean at times. I think they are flawed human beings, doing the very best they can in a tragic situation.

Other movies like "Nothing in Common" staring Tom Hanks and Jackie Gleason have touched on this subject - but nothing like this one.

"The Savages" is real. It's raw. It struggles with the the question "Why should we help people who have hurt us?"

This movie made me feel joyful - and hopeful.



***