Monday, January 21, 2008

The Long Goodbye

We had a good weekend - but death was discussed.

My Boyfriend's sister has been with hospice for a week. We talk about her daily. My niece's mother in law, whom she blogged about, went with hospice last Thursday. She died this morning.

We had a wonderful conversation with a friend last night who's been battling leukemia for eight years. He's an inspiration to all who know him.

And in the class - the one where we discussed the death penalty last week - we discussed euthanasia yesterday.

By coincidence (if you believe in coincidence) Jack Kevorkian spoke at the University of Florida a few days ago. To my knowledge, he wasn't booed or heckled. He was treated with respect, even by those who disagreed with him - much like the way we treat each other in this class.

My Boyfriend and I each had long goodbyes with our spouses. When you watch somebody you love go through the dying process - up close and personal - for five years or so, it gives you a little different perspective.

Euthanasia (definition "Good Death") is not something I believe in. Yet, I've seen loving caregivers provide comfort at the end that might have hurried things along by an hour or two. How is this different? I don't know.

I've seen families cut off dialysis treatment when the insurance payments stopped - thereby causing death within a few days. How is this different?

In the class we discussed the doctor in New Orleans who stayed in the hospital with terminally ill patients throughout the storm and then was arrested and tried in court (and exonerated) for her efforts in alleviating their suffering.

What would I have done? I don't know.

Many religious people believe that "Redemption comes through suffering."

I believe that - redemption sometimes comes through suffering.

Other times it's just a process of dying made way too long by a system that keeps our bodies going way longer than God intended.

Then, blessedly, we die.




***