Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Movies

I like movies. Fortunately so does my Boyfriend. We don't see as many as I used to because we have other things to do and there aren't many that peek my interest these days.

What type movies do you like?

I like dialogue driven dramas. Intense relationships. High integrity.

Some of my favorite movies lately have been Michael Clayton, Juno, The Savages and The Debaters. I liked No Country for Old Men and American Gangster but had big problems with the endings.

Yesterday I was reading the Smithsonian Magazine while waiting in the doctor's office. There was an interview with Bruce Willis because his T-shirt from the Die Hard movies is now in the Smithsonian. When asked about his take on action movies he said,

You can draw a straight line from westerns to military to action movies. They are morality stories - good over evil.

I can appreciate that but I find action movies to be a bit boring. Unless it's like the Bourne trilogy that's so over the top that it's funny.

Also, even though I enjoy psychological thrillers, I don't want to see brutality. "Pulp Fiction" was an amazing movie in many ways but the brutality turned me off. "The Kite Runner" was one of my favorite books of the last few years but I haven't seen the movie because I've heard that it's brutal in parts.

One of the most popular movie genres is "Revenge." I think revenge movies probably help some people live out some fantasies.

My favorite genre is "Redemption." The Savages, Michael Clayton, Juno and The Great Debaters are all redemption movies.



***