Monday, January 14, 2008

I STILL Have a Crush on Him

Yesterday in my class we discussed "Capitol Punishment." Yes, we can actually talk about things of this nature and not provoke fist fights.

The discussion reminded me of a dinner my Boyfriend and I attended last year. The keynote speaker was Jack Murphy - or as some of you may remember him,

Murph the Surf

He got his nickname in the 50s because he was a national surfing champ. He was also a:
  • concert violinist
  • tennis pro
  • stunt man
  • astoundingly good looking dude with a magnetic personality and genius I.Q.

And then he and a friend pulled off the greatest jewel heist in U.S. history.

If you think Paris Hilton used to be in the news a lot (before she ticked off the paparazzi) she was nothing compared to Murph the Surf. Every young woman in the country was in love with him. Every young man wanted to be him.

He was a media darling and he knew how to work it.

After serving a short sentence (after all, nobody was hurt) he moved to Florida. He then started his real crime career that ended in a murder conviction - two life sentences, plus 20 years.

The crimes he committed in Florida weren't pretty or victimless. He was a bad dude.

But after 20 years and a religious conversion, he was released. He's spent the last 20 years speaking in prisons from Chicago to Moscow.

At first I didn't believe him. I thought maybe he was the same charming, smart, diabolical con man he'd always been. But I'll have to give it to him. He's using his gifts for good rather than evil.

Last year when I saw him wondering around in a crowd of community leaders, I knew him immediately. The blond wavy hair was lighter - but still there. He was tanned and those baby-blues were still twinkling.

He still stands out in a crowd like the Star of India.

At one time he was an argument for capitol punishment. Now he's an argument against.

***