Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Toddlin' Town

My Boyfriend and I met for the first time in Chicago. This was after many months of being pen pals. My plane arrived at O'Hare 20 minutes before his so I met him as he deplaned. He told me months later that he recognized me immediately despite my orange hair. So much for the expensive highlighting.

It was one of the best three-days-in-a-row in my long and fun filled life. We did about everything you can do in downtown Chicago in three days,

Our first stop was The Museum of Contemporary Art where we had lunch on the patio at Wolfgang Pucks. Our young waiter assumed we were an old married couple until I laid it all out for him. I explained the first date thing and assured him that there was a lot of pressure ON HIM.

We stayed at a great hotel (the Seneca), went on the architectural river tour, rode on the ferris wheel at the Navy Pier, strolled in Millennium Park, had dinner at Shaw's Crab House, viewed the city from the top of the John Hancock Building and shopped at Bloomingdale's. Our last morning we had lunch on the beach. (Who knew that downtown Chicago had a beach?)

But, except for holding hands to cross the streets and a good-bye hug, there was no actual touching on this trip.

Give me a break here. It was the first date either of us had had in 47 years.