Thursday, June 21, 2007

Oscars

I love my sister in law. We live at opposite ends of the country so we rarely see each other but we communicate often. Despite not ever having been physically close we have much in common. We had similar parenting styles with similar results. We both love words. We both love movies. We both have an outrageous sense of humor.

We both love movies but have different tastes. She likes chick flicks. I get bored. Oh, and I like to sit close to the front in the theater with nobody in front of me. She likes to sit in the back row - with nobody in front of her.

Here are two examples of our movie critiques:

AMERICAN BEAUTY - She loved this movie. I hated it. I tried to explain to her that a movie where the most symbolic scene is where a piece of trash on the sidewalk gets caught up in a little whirlwind is lacking.

It won an Academy Award.

THE DEPARTED - She loved this movie. I hated it. Every person in the movie gets killed. No wait, every person in the movie gets his brains blown out - all over the place. Everybody is bad, cops & crooks. Well except the Martin Sheen character who doesn't get his brains blown out but comes flying off the top of a building. Splat! Since Leonardo Decaprio beefed up I think he and Matt Damon look somewhat alike. Very confusing. The only ones left at the end are the potty mouth (and that's saying something in this movie) former underwear guy and the female police psychologist (what a dope) who is pregnant. Neither she nor we the viewers have a clue as to who the father is.

As you know, this movie won several Academy Awards.