Friday, June 22, 2007

Book Clubs

I like book clubs because I'm totally clueless when I walk into a bookstore or library. I suffer severely from over-choice.

I like it when somebody hands me a book and says "read this." (Disclaimer - please don't ask me to read your manuscript unless you're prepared to read mine.)

I used to belong to this really snooty book club. We met at this rich guy's art deco library which is actually a separate structure from his home. In attendance were writers, film makers, professors and other professionals. And there were always several beautiful young women who wanted to impress the rich guy- but, of course, they had not read the book.

We read things like "Invitation to a Beheading" and "Mrs. Dalloway." Some of the books were a stretch for me but the discussion was usually very insightful.

Things change. I could no longer go to this art deco library and sip wine with the literary swells.

Then I was invited to a women's book club at my condo. I was dubious. I wasn't ready for romance novels.

Surprise! These women read excellent books - and they lead fascinating lives. I'm still being stretched. The discussions are still stimulating. And sometimes we sip wine.

But the last good book I read was "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb because my # 2 daughter said, "Here, read this."