Saturday, June 23, 2007

High School Revisited

I went to a huge (largest in the country at that time) downtown high school. After I graduated I turned my back on that life.

Years later, like many other people of a certain age who have computers, I looked up my best friend from H.S. Any assumptions I had about her were wrong. It took me years to discover I was smart. She learned earlier. She had a great career at that very same high school as head of the English Department. She married a brilliant, exciting man who took her all over the world and broke her heart.

We have much in common.

Literature for one. Not all readers love to write - but all writers love to read. We say things to each other no one but a literary nut would understand.

One day I wrote her about having to stop in a very small town while traveling through the south to put my Real Husband in the hospital for a few hours. I described to her how I had breakfast at 6 AM in a restaurant with six men wearing bib overalls.

Her reply: "How Eudora Weltyish of you."