Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I'm Not One of Them

My Real Husband and I were opposites in many, many, ways. He was described at times as "larger than life" My kids are "larger than life." You may like them or not - but you WILL read about them in the papers.

I hurt my children's feelings once by explaining to them, "I'm not related to your father but you are." I tried not to say it in a "feeling sad for you" way.

A while back when my son was running in a national race the guy beside him had the same last name. They wondered if they might be related. My son said, "Is your family really smart and courageous and 'out there' but sort of crazy at times"?

After a brief conversation they agreed they might be related.

If we ever had family reunions anymore (which we don't to my regret) it might be fun to host a "quiet" room for the non blood relatives. We excel at times too - but we have "off" buttons.