Tuesday, June 19, 2007

His Reunion

A few years ago my # 2 son got suckered into taking my Real Husband up north to his 50th high school reunion. I knew better. The big secret in our family was that, along with serious physical problems, dementia had come to visit.

Dealing with a person who has an astonishingly high I.Q. along with dementia can only be described sarcastically as "Good Times."

Good times were had in the air port where he wondered off and in the hotel room where they shared a bed so he couldn't escape out into the hall.

(# 2 Son, Welcome to my world!)

But here is the totally exasperating part. When they stepped off the elevator into the reunion, the light turned on. He was charming. He was handsome. As the former president of the graduating class of 1955 he gave a little speech. Women were saying to # 2 Son, "Why isn't your mother here. Is she still living?"

His reply. "YESSSSS!"