Sunday, June 24, 2007

The New Yorker

I love the New Yorker magazine. I don't subscribe to it. I used to but it comes once a week and I was getting stressed trying to keep up. Reading went from pleasure to pressure.

Now I buy my copies from my local library for ten cents each.

To love the New Yorker it helps if you love New York. I do.

Here are some of the things I like:

- The art work on the cover is often clever, funny and makes a great point.

- Several of my favorite writers (some of whom most people don't even know are writers) write for the New Yorker with no great fanfare. Their names are on the contributors list along with the other writers. People like Nora Epram, Steve Martin, Woody Allen and Garrison Keallor.

-"Shouts & Murmurs"

- The cartoons. They're on almost every page. I especially like the back page Cartoon Caption Contest.

Some things I don't like:

- The length of the articles and fiction. They are LONG. But I read them anyway.

- The poetry. Read it and you'll see why.

When I arrived here at my Boyfriend's house for a summer visit he had saved all of his New Yorkers since my last visit. What a guy!