Saturday, August 2, 2008

What Would You Like Heaven to be Like?

I've taught a class in my church a couple of times called "What Do You Think Heaven is Like? What Would You Like Heaven to be Like?"

Since my church is full of really smart and open people, the title alone has engendered some great discussion.

In my Boyfriend's city there is a big, wonderful supermarket. It's known, among other things, for its diversity. It's kinda expensive (but not as expensive as that Whole Paycheck place.)

How big is it? There are 18 bins of olives. All different.

Yesterday I had finished my shopping and was waiting for you know who in the front area where employees tend to congregate.

Within five minutes I observed the following employees:

* a mentally challenged middle aged bag boy who speaks way too loud and is difficult to understand - but is friendly and helpful and everybody treats him with respect

* a beautiful young Muslim check out woman wearing a uniform modified to her beliefs

* an Orthodox Jew baker with his long beard caroused in a hairnet, the ends secured behind his ears

* two beautiful teenage girls just coming on duty who were so delighted to see each other that they were jumping up and down, hugging and/or clapping their hands

Is this what heaven is like? It's kinda like what I'd like it to be like.


***