Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Ongoing Exploding Pens

One of my favorite descriptions of insanity goes something like this:

Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

This morning in church I got out my little notebook to jot down something the minister said but when I uncapped my pen ink flew all over my hands.

This has happened several times since I got off the plane on Wednesday. Not only that, it's happened many times in the past. I love Roller Ball pens. But they explode on airplanes. End of story.

But it's not.

Last Saturday on my plane ride from Minnesota to Georgia I got bumped up to first class because a family wanted to sit together. Not a big deal for me since it was only a two hour trip.

Except, I'm usually fascinated with first class passengers, wondering what their stories are and why they pay so much more for a short flight. The young man next to me was good looking, well built and impeccably dressed. I liked his magazines and almost asked to borrow one but then I uncapped my pen to outline a book I was reading - and it exploded all over the pages and my hands.

So that was the end of me trying to be cool in first class. You might think that it would have been the end of the exploding Roller Ball pens as well. But it wasn't.

And probably won't be.


***