Sunday, August 31, 2008

Panera's and Power

I have breakfast often with my Oldies at Panera Bread Bakery and Cafe. It's their new favorite place for breakfast. I fussed a tiny bit when we switched restaurants because I like eggs for breakfast. Panera's now has a couple of egg dishes but not eggs per se. All of the millions of people who eat at Panera's know this and either abide by this rule or sneak in their own boiled egg in a baggie as I do sometimes.

But my Oldie surprised me on my first Saturday morning back in Florida by ordering and getting fried eggs at Panera's. Nobody else can do this. Just him.

He's done this at other restaurants, like ordering (and getting) grits in the afternoon or mashed potatoes for breakfast.

What's this about? I think it's about power - and I understand it.

He's losing strength and power every day. He was once the vice president of a great company. Now he doesn't even remember what he did for a living. But he was a decision maker and power broker in his realm - and he's still at it in his much smaller realm.

I wish I could order a nice buttery fried egg at Panera's but I'm just not empowered in that way.


***