Friday, August 22, 2008

Random Thoughts and Helpful Hints

I flew home on Wednesday after spending almost three months with my Boyfriend and five days with my kids and little grandkids in Georgia. It was so good.

Hint # 1 - Kids Change Fast.

Here's a first, instead of my reading books at night, the eight year old is reading chapter books on his own - so he read to ME every night.

The four year old rattled off the names of the first 25 presidents. When the two year old started shouting out "James Polk" I said, "Wait a minute, you're not even old enough to talk!

I thought my flight to Florida would be cancelled because of Tropical Storm Fay. But no problem. And that was good because I wasn't feeling so hot and really wanted to get home before my daughter noticed.

Hint # 2 - AAA and the Trickle Charge

Lots to do after being away from home for three months. First my car wouldn't start -but the AAA guy was great and told me about something called a Trickle Charge that I can buy at Walmart or Target that hooks up to my car battery so that it will never
again die of neglect.

Hint # 3 - Walk In Clinics

Despite Tropical Storm Fay whipping up and down and over and about central Florida I ventured out yesterday morning to the Little Clinic located in my grocery store to get tested for strep throat. I love these clinics that have popped up in various convenient places all over the country. If you have insurance, you're covered. If you don't have insurance it's much cheaper than either the E.R. or your doctor's office. And no waiting. I was in an out in 15 minutes. Good news: No strep! Bad news: No meds! (I'm on tea and Tylenol.)

Hint # 4 - Be Prepared

Last night the power was out for several hours but, fortunately, I had my battery operated fan, flashlights, radio and hurricane phone. This is just one of those old fashioned Princess phones that does not require electricity. You may be thinking to yourself that you would just use your cell phone but where would you charge it up - especially if your car battery was dead?

Hint # 5 - Cut the Cable

Prior to leaving town I downgraded my cable from "standard" to "basic." This saved me about $150. I haven't called the cable company to re up. I'm kind of enjoying getting to know these channels I never watch. OK, four of them are Spanish and two are shopping networks but I did see a nostalgic Jack Benny program with guest star Lawrence Welk on PBS. Doubt that I would have watched that if my 100 channels were available.

Hint # 6 - Radio Shack Still Rules

Tropical Storm Fay blew out my surge protector for my computer phone line. I've always bought them at Comp USA but when I got there today they didn't have one. They said they'd never had one. Turns out that Comp USA recently went out of business and they were replaced by a new computer company that is named COMP USA!

I then traveled to Radio Shack. They had one.

Hint # 7 - Don't Spend So Much Time Worrying About the Oldies

After three days of trying to call my Oldies I finally got him to pick up the phone. I wasn't too worried that they were lost in Tropical Storm Fay because (1) they go out to eat three times a day even in hurricanes and (2) they sometimes don't answer the phone even when they're home.

But I loved hearing my Oldies' voice and the three of us are having breakfast tomorrow. I told him I'd pick them up and he said "You know that I drive!." That was right after he told me that he'd had "head" surgery while I was away but I learned later today that it was in the dermatologist's office and all was benign.

Hint # 8 - Sometimes It Pays to Use Tough Love

When I last talked with my Boyfriend in Minnesota he was enjoying himself watching the Olympics on his TV that (you and) I made him buy.


***