Saturday, August 2, 2008

Remembering the Bridge

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the collapse of the bridge in downtown Minneapolis.

Lots in the papers and on TV all this week. Many people are still suffering both physically and emotionally from the trauma and aftermath - even those who were not on the bridge.

Here are some quotes:

A structure than we all have used was no longer there. It was now in millions of pieces floating down the Mississippi River.

I was anticipating the arrival of my first child...As we were watching the coverage, I turned to me husband and said, 'This would not be a good night to go to the hospital'...Our son was born (in the hospital midst all the carnage) early on the morning of August 2nd.

I had just arrived home from work at the Medical Center when my pager went off...I jumped back in my car. Well on my way, I realized I had some bridges to cross. Was this some terrorist attack? Will more bridges fall?

My daughter died of cervical cancer on September 0, 2007. She was a patient at the university hospital at the time of the bridge collapse. She said to me, 'Mom, I know that I'm going to die, but all those people on the bridge never had a chance.'

The new bridge is almost finished. Hopefully, it will help continue the healing.