Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Dogs and People

You know how I like to make fun of people who are way too ga ga over their pets - especially dogs.

This includes some people I love like crazy. You know who you are.

I get seriously concerned with those who spend loads of money and put animals through tremendous unnecessary pain just to keep them alive a while longer. But then I feel somewhat the same way about keeping people going past their expiration dates. (That includes me when the time comes.)

But then I read today about a local dog named Batman who has a brain tumor. His owners love him but were struggling with what to do. The University of Minnesota has come to the rescue (maybe) with an experimental therapy they hope will cure the brain tumor, which by the way, is the same kind that Ted Kennedy has. The therapy, if it works, will help dogs and people.

And, too, Batman the dog, won't suffer the terrible effects of chemo and radiation and his owners won't bare the costs. Lets hope this is a win - all the way around.

In a related story today, a woman from California (of course) has just spent $50,000 to have her pitbull cloned. Now this is something I can make fun of.


***