Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Here We Go Again

I was more than distressed when John Edwards finally admitted his fling with the former '80s New York party girl and current videographer Rielle Hunter. The jury is still out on whether or not he's the father of her baby.

My daughter broke the story to me weeks ago but I was hoping it was an "Inquirer" smear job. John Edwards has been a good advocate for the poor and other disenfranchised people. Despite her life threatening cancer, his wife, attorney Elizabeth Edwards, was a full partner in his bid for the presidency.

I keep vacillating in my head from feeling terrible pain for Edwards and Hunter and wanting to see them duke it out on the Jerry Springer show.

As an aside here, Jerry Springer has many times defended his show (and others like Maury Povich) and the people on it by saying that their messy lives are no worse than the lives of spoiled celebrities. His point's well taken.

I've been perplexed and hurt when the likes of Bill Clinton and Elliott Spitzer and even people I've know personally have pulled these shenanigans.

But Edwards has confirmed what I've suspected and have shared with you in the past about this kind of behavior. He's a self confessed narcissist. He's admitted that at some point "as you become more rich and powerful you think you're invincible and there'll be no consequences."

He's wrong. Not only for himself and his family but those of us whose lives are touched by the betrayal certainly feel the consequences as well.


***