Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Future

Sometimes my Boyfriend and I discuss the future - but not often. We mainly discuss the near future - like what we're going to do in the next few months.

We'd already lived full and successful lives before we met. This is gravy.

And, as Maurice Chevalier used to sing, Forever more is shorter than before.

But apparently not as short as I thought.

New stats have come out saying that, at age 65, the average life expectancy is 85 for women and 82 for men.

And, since my Boyfriend is an avid golfer, more good news arrived today via an Internet article by Michael Kent.

The Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science found it "likely" that playing golf has a significant impact on health...Golfers are 47% less likely to die than non - golfers of the same age.

These stats might change my way of thinking. Maybe we should get married, renew our careers and have babies.

But on second thought, I don't think so. I like what Chevalier continued to sing,

The Fountain of Youth is dull as paint,
Methuselah is my patron saint,
I've never been so comfortable before,
Oh, I'm so glad that I'm not young anymore.


***