Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm a Believer

On Saturday night my Boyfriend and I saw Neil Diamond in concert in St. Paul, Minnesota. He sold out the 14,000 seat arena two nights in a row.

At 67, he's the oldest male artist to headline a major arena tour. In fact, he's one of a handful of artists of any age who can fill an arena.

And his new album, "Home Before Dark" is the #1 album on the Billboard charts.

So there!

When I talked with my children on the phone about all of the above the word "Geezer" came up repeatedly.

"He's #1 on the 'Geezer' Charts?'"

"I didn't know he was still alive." (Hello, you're talking to your mother!)

"Does he sing anything I know?"

- How about the Monkey's theme song "I'm a Believer"? He wrote it.

- How about Streisand's "You Don't Send Me Flowers Anymore"? He wrote it and recorded it with her.

- How about "Sweet Caroline," the song he recently admitted was written for Caroline Kennedy.

I'm not a huge Diamond fan but I admire his work and you have to give it to these performers who've been on top for decades - and still continue to tour.

Neil and I do connect on several levels.

I'm a man of God. I'm a man of peace. I'm a man of faith.

Me to!

And, of course, I'm - "Forever in Blue Jeans."


***