Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Writing Ideas

Earlier today a friend asked me how I come up with so many ideas. At that point I was stuck for an answer.

Then I talked with a very old high school friend, one who loves words as much as I do. She told me about this interesting exercise she used to do with her writing students.

On a large piece of newsprint she drew a horizontal, blue squiggly line. She asked her students to see it as the ocean. Then she asked that they visualize what they might see from the surface of the ocean. Then she invited those who cared to, to come up and draw what they visualized.

They drew deserted islands, islands with structures and people, mountains, boats, and numerous other things.

Next she asked them to visualize and draw what might be below the surface of the ocean.

they drew whales, all sorts of fish, sea creatures, anchors, submerged boats loaded with treasures - and numerous other things.

Of course, the point is: There's always a lot more going on that what's on the surface!


***