Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Safe House

Once when I spoke to a group of retired Methodist ministers and their spouses I used the line from Robert Frost's poem "The Hired Man" which says "Home is the place that, when you go there, they have to take you in."

Since these people have retired and finally have their own homes, they could finally relate. When you spend your whole adult life living in parsonages, as beautiful as they may be, Frost's definition doesn't always apply.

Things may happen that necessitate a move. This happens in all kinds of business situations but in the Methodist church, you must vacate your home. The current congregation doesn't have to take you in. They can kick you out.

And there are many more subtle ways that congregations let the clergy family know who "owns" the parsonage. Like people with keys who come and go at will.

But there are all kinds of toxic home situations. Some much worse than others. One of the primary things we need from home - from birth until death - is that it be a SAFE place.

I feel blessed in my condo. I'm surrounded by neighbors whom I care about - and some I love! It's a safe place.

I'm feeling at home in my Boyfriend's house. He's lived in it for over 40 years. His children who live in other parts of the country love this house.

It is missing a few things. Since we're now doing a little cooking we shopped today for measuring cups and spices. He has none.


***