Thursday, July 17, 2008

I, Too, Sing America

All of the talk lately about the "old angry African American ideas about America, " i.e., Jeremiah Wright and Jesse Jackson - and the "new positive African American ideas about America," i.e., Barack Obama, have reminded me of a poem by the late, great Langston Hughes.

One of the outstanding writings of the Harlem Renaissance, this poem, with it's positive outlook, could have been written about people like Obama and so many others who have a new and different way of seeing life.


I, TOO, SING AMERICA

I, too, sing America.


I am the darker brother,

They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,

But I laugh,

And eat well,

And grow strong.


Tomorrow,

I'll be at the table

When company comes.

Nobody'll dare

Say to me,

"Eat in the kitchen,"

Then.


Besides,

They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed-


I, too, am America.


***