Saturday, December 8, 2007

She's Still At It

Thirty years ago I met a woman here in this city who, like me, was trying to change the world.

She's still at it.

The other day she wrote an editorial for the paper about her work with kids. To be more specific, Muslim, Jewish and Christian kids. She's all about projects that help these kids work and play together.

She says, "We are teaching our kids from the three faiths that human kindness transcends everything."

Our kids have learned how similar they are, but more important, they are learning about the differences that exist among them...learning not to be fearful or suspicious of those differences, but to treat them with respect...

You would absolutely not believe the hateful, mean, scary replies she's received from this one editorial. And I'm ashamed to say that it looks like most of them have come from Christian men.

I don't know how she has kept her courage over these many years. Nor do I know how she has the stamina (at her age - which is my age) to carry on.

In 2006 she was Amnesty International's Human Rights Activist of the year.

Let's see. What was I doing last year?