Monday, December 3, 2007

Dogs

I'm not really a dog person. They're OK but I like the saying:

You're never really free until the last kid leaves and the dog dies.

When I was a runner I had a couple of scary times with big mean dogs. I'm still afraid of them. But my very favorite dog weighed as much as I do. He belonged to my son in law and family for 14 years. A Golden Retriever, he was the sweetest dog I've ever seen. He died last year after declining health that lasted way too long.

A few months before my Real Husband died he said, I can't believe that dog is going to outlive me!

Spoiled dogs crack me up. I see lots of designer dogs, all decked out, at the Farmer's Market every Saturday.

My brother and sister in law have two little, tiny white dogs. One is a psychopath. A couple of years ago my niece wrote to tell me that she was worried because her folks were "dressing the dogs." As it turns out, it was just dog sweaters - but my brother did buy one of the dogs a tiara when he visited me a few years ago. He bought his wife oranges.

Regarding spoiling dogs, how far is too far?

I read an article in my paper last week about doggie implants for those unfortunate males who've been neutered.

While neuticles - testicular implants for dogs - are strickly cosmetic, they're said to boost a pet's self-esteem by replacing what was lost.

I'm not making this up.