Sunday, October 25, 2009

We Still Love Our Guns

Thanks to all of you who've let me know you've missed my frequent blog postings. After posting close to 2,000 since I started in 2007, I'm winding down a bit. But I thought you might enjoy this one that I wrote in 2009. It's a reminder of our fear of (and love affair with) guns. Wednesday's newspaper ran a full page ad for guns. Several Smith & Wesson hand guns, including a Military Police 9mm. Also a few Glocks. All with pictures. Now I know almost nothing about guns but I've seen enough "Law and Order" episodes to know that you don't use a Glock to hunt rabbits. The ad was scary. A while back I read a related story. This minister in Kentucky is advocating "Bring Your Gun to Church" day. Got me to thinking how we could expand this idea of bringing things we love to church. How about: "Bring Your Pit Bull to Church" day. I know lots of people love their pit bulls. Probably many of the same people who love their guns. They could bring both. Or how about "Bring Your Chain Saw to Church" day. There's a lovely lady in my church who wears make up and jewelry but she also clears brush and has taken her chain saw on local mission trips. In fact, she's told me that she loves her chain saw. I sort of doubt that any of the above will happen at my church but if anybody's planning it please give me ample advance notice. ***