Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Judy

I have this friend. I've known her for over 30 years but she lives across the state so I don't see her much. She's physically and spiritually beautiful. One of the things we have in common is that her husband had Alzheimer's and she took excellent care of him.

I couldn't help but be sad but relieved when he died a couple of years ago because she would be free to have a new life. Maybe even one like I've been blessed with.

But a few months later she was diagnosed with lung cancer.

I contacted her a few times - but not enough. Then she moved fairly close to me to be with her children so I made a mental note to see her. I was wondering if she'd feel well enough, with the chemo and all, to go to lunch.

Last week she died.

This isn't the first time I've experienced this. Below is a poem I wrote in the 70s. You'd think I would have learned my lesson.

MARGARET RITZ

Margaret Ritz, Margaret Ritz,
I'll call yo when I can.
You haven't seen me lately,
but that was the risk you ran,
When you chose me for a friend,
And cluttered up my plans,
I do important things, you know,
I'll call you when I can.

Margaret Ritz, Margaret Ritz,
I heard you when you said,
That friends are hard to come by,
But I've got to plan ahead.
Now you've played an awful trick on me,
In the church bulletin I read,
While mediating on my life,
"Margaret Ritz is dead."


***