Saturday, October 17, 2009

What Time is Breakfast?

I've been having Saturday breakfast with my Oldies for many, many years. During the 8 year period that my husband was on dialysis and I had to drop him off at 5:30 A.M. they met me for a very early breakfast.

They were reliable, responsible and always there for me.

As the years went by we adjusted the time back to a reasonable 8 A.M. I could set my watch by them. (Even most of you know that Mrs. Oldie has that standing hair appointment at 9:30.)

Last Saturday when we arrived at Panera's at eight they were finished eating and wondered where we were.

Today they weren't there. At 8:45 I dialed my cell but as I looked up I saw them. They were sitting down at a table for two.

We corralled them over to our booth. But they'd forgotten to stand in line to order their breakfasts so they left their things - including Mrs. Oldie's purse - and headed for the line.

They were gone a long time. Then we looked around and saw them sitting at yet another table for two happily eating their breakfast. Dave said, "Should we corral them again?"

We did - and had a pleasant visit. Mr. Oldie and Dave shared the contents of their sketchbooks.

We left for our walk but, later, on the way back to the car Dave said, "Do you think we should remind them of the hair appointment?"

But it was 11 AM so we didn't bother.


***