Saturday, March 8, 2008

Natural Acts

A young person dying is an unnatural act. Not supposed to happen. Doesn't make sense.

Old people, however, are supposed to die. But how old is old? And just because it's "natural" why do some people think it's easy?

In the last three days:
  • Someone I love's grandmother died. She was 95 years old and in many ways her death was a blessing - but it's also the end of an era. She was an exceptionally strong woman until just a short time ago.
  • Someone I love's father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. Not only do I love her but she loves her father like crazy - and I love him as well. He is the epitome of a Southern Gentle-man.
  • My Boyfriend's sister died. What a life she had. Born on the other side of the world, superbly educated and gifted in many ways.

When I told my young neighbor about the death she said "How old was she?" When I answered "70." she said, "Well she had a long life."

That's one way to look at it. Another way is that she died 25 years younger than the grandmother I mentioned above. Age is relative.

Growing older has its problems but there are also great blessings. We all know many people over 70 who are making their best contributions to this planet.

My friend sent me a note this morning in response to my Boyfriend's sisters' death. She said:

...the obit describes a lovely life, full of beauty and peace building... Every well lived life helps to heal the world.

I want to always value and mourn those who are declining and leaving before me - even if it is "natural."

***