Thursday, March 13, 2008

Big Bad Dogs

The mayor of Orlando was out jogging a few days ago and saw his neighbors' dog being attacked by a pit bull. He immediately jumped in the fray, tackled the pit bull and saved the little Jack Russell terrier.

This made the headline of the paper the next day.

Needless to say, the mayor has experienced a lot of good natured kidding. My favorite columnist, Mike Thomas,' piece this morning was a tongue in cheek listing of how other prominent leaders might have handled the situation.

Our state attorney (who some people think starts out strong then loses steam) would "charge the pit bull with 12 counts of attempted murder, reduce it to one count of unintentional biting, and release the dog from the pound with a monitoring collar."

Mel Martinez would "embargo the pit bull and wait 50 years for it to let go."

Bobby Bowden would "still let the pit bull play against Miami."

You get the idea.

What would you do if you'd been in the mayor's shoes? I'm pretty terrified of big, bad dogs. Always have been. You're probably thinking, "But, Cess, if it attacked someone you love you'd do what the mayor did!"

About 18 years ago I was walking in my neighborhood with several family members, pushing one of my new grandbabies in a stroller. All at once a big, snarling dog came charging out of his yard. I immediately abandoned the stroller and ran behind my husband.

I'm not proud of it - but I did it.



***