Friday, March 21, 2008

Murky Gene Pools

We have a saying in our family. We all come from murky gene pools. Well, maybe the Royals don't - but their blood line doesn't seem like much to write home about.

My skin is olive like my dad's. As he grew older he developed all kinds of interesting spots on his skin - especially his face.

I'm growing more spots as I write this.

We've often wondered and teased about my dad's ancestry. He was raised by an elderly couple in Indiana. He didn't know much about his family - and much of what he told me I suspect he made up.

All I know for sure is this: I'm not a candidate for the DAR.

I know many, many people who've discovered along the way that the guy they called dad wasn't their biological dad and I know a few people who discovered the same thing about their moms.

And then there are the people who reinvent their past. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it has tragic results.

If you do this, don't go into politics.

And there are those who think Jesus was Swedish (with long, blond hair.)

One time a woman called our home around Christmas time. She was furious! Somebody sent her a Christmas card depicting one of the wise men as black. I suggested that maybe he was from Ethiopia. That explanation did not calm her.

I don't know much about my ancestry on my dad's side - but I pretty much know who I am.



***