Sunday, March 2, 2008

Movie Review

Last night my Boyfriend and I saw "Bonneville," staring Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Joan Allen. You could call it an older chick flick.

The chicks - not the flick.

Also three of the finest actors around.

It's very much a road movie - but not as brutal as "Thelma and Louise."

Jessica Lange is a new widow. Her husband's daughter by another marriage wants his ashes and is willing to let Jessica stay in her home if she gives them up. Jessica promised him before he died that she'd spread them.

She, Kathy and Joan take off for the daughter's fancy memorial service for her dad in California - in his '66 Bonneville. You guessed it! They end up spreading the ashes over his and Jessica's favorite places along the way.

It's slow moving and predictable. But that's not my problem with the movie.

My problem is that she risks everything to grant his wish - while he (through carelessness) left her homeless.

I'm sure everybody in the theater was thinking "What a loving wife."

I was thinking "What a dope!"


***