Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Best Choir I've Ever Heard

The Bethune-Cookman University Concert Chorale is the best choir I've ever heard - and I've heard plenty.

B-CU is a traditionally black college in Florida that I've admired for 40 years. Now they have students from all over the world but the vast majority of them are on scholarships. There is no other way most of these young people would be in college.

Their marching band is excellent and highly entertaining. They've been invited to many bowl games and parades. But the Concert Chorale is the best.

The last time I heard them was this past year. My Boyfriend, my son and I traveled to the campus because my Real Husband was being honored. It was founder's day. The place was packed. The Concert Chorale sang. It was glorious.

At the end of the program we were to walk across the campus to another site for a short presentation. We gathered there. But then we had to wait.

The Concert Chorale "strutted" that slow rhythmic strut all the way across campus while singing a spiritual. We could hear them low and then loud - as they slowly made their way - all one hundred of them. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

The Bethune-Cookman University Concert Chorale will be at my church this Sunday morning - all one hundred of them.

I hope you'll come see them.


***