Saturday, March 8, 2008

Breakfast with the Celebs

I think my 17 year Saturday morning breakfast date with my Fake Parents has settled into a new place. Well, new for me. We've eaten there the last three Saturdays, including today. It's across the street from the old restaurant that they can't seem to find anymore.

But, before I get on with this I need to digress by saying that my niece has gotten after me about my name for them (Fake Parents.) So, in her honor, I'm changing their name to "My Oldies."

When I called them (My Oldies) last night to remind them that about breakfast the conversation got a little complicated so I finally ended up saying "You go to breakfast and I'll find you."

They did and I did.

It wasn't hard because they've been eating breakfast 6 days a week at the same place. As of three weeks ago it's now 7.

It's fine with me. This place doesn't serve eggs but I just take my own. When we're seated I surprise them by whipping my boiled egg in a baggie out of my pocket.

Breakfast is entertaining because a parade of people drop by our table. No, it's not to visit with me. Everybody knows My Oldies.

They always buy an extra pastry for a person who stops by to chat but obviously can't afford his own breakfast.

Today we had a long visit from the charming former owner of a former french restaurant that they frequented for many years.

Then a guy stopped by who was very funny - the one liners never stopped - who turned out to be a stand up comic who met my Oldie friend 20 years ago when he went to Comedy Driving School.

This restaurant costs (quite a bit) less than the one across the street and that's a plus but I've been fussing about paying $1.25 for cream cheese at this one. When My Oldie forgot to order his cream cheese this morning I magnanimously offered him mine but a restaurant employee hurried over and gave him one - for free.

I felt like Shecky Greene eating with Frank Sinatra at Jilly's.



***