Friday, February 1, 2008

Plato's Cave Stories

Like many people I read Plato's The Republic in college. But the difference for me was that I was about 32 years old.

I remember sitting in a classroom, amongst some very bored young students, with my tongue hanging out - I was so excited!

This Plato guy gets it!

The Allegory of the Cave is basically this: A bunch of guys are trapped in a cave. All they know about life on the outside are the shadows they see projected on the wall. Occasionally somebody escapes and comes back to tell them what it's REALLY like out there - but they just say "no way" and go back to looking at the shadows.

Or, as Auntie Mame said:

Life is a banquet and most poor bastards are starving to death!

I've enjoyed spending much of my life helping people to see what's out there - and to know that everybody has a place at the table.

***