Monday, February 4, 2008

Health Update

I know that you're wondering how my blood pressure situation is coming along. Here's the latest scoop.

I was on three B/P drugs and it was fine for a while. Then it started zooming up again. They say that when you have blood pressure symptoms you"re in big trouble. It's not called "The Silent Killer" for nothin'.

I was sitting in church a couple of weeks ago all comfy and quiet. Then I started feeling like I was going to explode. Then as I was trying to take some notes my hands wouldn't work. They felt all tingly.

I was either having a blood pressure spike or some kind of strange religious experience. Since I'm Methodist and we don't general have those, I figured I'd better get the B/P checked out again.

So now I'm on four B/P drugs.

The side effects are quite entertaining.

What's the big deal? High blood pressure can cause organ failure and stroke, among other things. So next time you're in the drug store or supermarket, get your blood pressure taken.

And don't think that just because you take good care of yourself that you're home free. I'm the poster child for taking care of myself. I've never smoked. I exercise and eat chocolate every day.

As my internist said to me a few years ago as I was doing everything humanly possible to get the blood pressure down myself.

"You're old. Take the medicine."



***