Sunday, February 3, 2008

Cultural Weekend

My Boyfriend likes cultural things. I do too as long as he doesn't push me too far.

On Friday night we saw a weird experiential play that was a combination of live performance and technology. Titled: Alice Experiments in Wonderland, it was described by the reviewer in the paper as, confusing and nonsensical. Actually, to be fair, I always thought Alice in Wonderland (the book) was confusing and nonsensical.

I didn't hate it. It was interesting and funny in parts. And it was only one hour and fifteen minutes long. I can keep my sense of humor about most anything for an hour or so. And besides, we were there with some good friends after having a really fun dinner together.

Saturday afternoon we traveled to a nearby little town because my Boyfriend wanted to see the traveling Contemporary Teapot Exhibit. Yes, I did some eye rolling when he mentioned it.

But it was fascinating. Jeweled teapots, teapots shaped like people and animals, teapots shaped like rocks and penguins. Varied works of art whose only thing in common was a handle and a spout.

We arrived just in time for the "Tea Tasting." We sat in the sun, ate sweets and drank flavored tea from old fashioned china cups.

Also in this little town Men of the Deeps were performing. But I drew the line at seeing "North America's only coal miners choir."

In a few minutes we're headed to the college art gallery to see a Louise Nevelson display.

Have I mentioned that all of the above is FREE!