Friday, February 22, 2008

My Late Husband

A couple of people have asked why I refer to my late husband as my Real Husband. It's because he was. We were married for 44 years.

But I could call him my late husband - because he was. He was late for everything. I used to get stressed because I was running late for a wedding I was to attend only to realize that he was still in the shower - and he was performing the wedding.

It's interesting how we tend to marry opposites.

But my Boyfriend and I are both ridiculously on time - or early. When we were married to our spouses we were the ones sitting in the car with the motor running. Now we're both sitting in the car ready to go with oodles of time to spare.

I frequently estimate too much time to get somewhere so we sometimes find ourselves sitting in front of a friend's home listening to the radio and waiting for a decent time to ring the door bell.

When I'm alone I read a magazine or book when I'm early.

If I'm 10 minutes late for something my friends tend to want to call 911. They know something has to be very wrong.

When I teach classes or lead a meeting everybody knows that we'll start on time and end on time.

You may be thinking "How boring." It's not. It's a stress free, relaxing and comfortable way to live - and everything gets done.



***