Saturday, October 20, 2007

Lower Your Blood Pressure

I've had a blood pressure problem for about four years. At first I was really mad because I used to be a runner and my B/P was always so low that it appeared that I was in a coma.

Then when I stopped running it shot up. It didn't seem to care that I was still exercising every day. Have I mentioned that I've weighed the same for my whole adult life? Approximately 113 lbs.

I fought taking meds for a few years but my doctor finally said, "You're old. Take the medicine."

But blood pressure meds are not simple. Most people have to experiment with several and end up on at least two different meds, as I am.

But it's still not where it should be. It spikes when I'm under stress.

They say that visualizing helps your B/P. That is to say, you can send it up or down according to what you're visualizing.

When I'm trying to get it down I visualize one of two things:

  • God in some form (sometimes Jesus) carrying me to a quiet, tranquil place where I have absolutely no worries or cares

  • Esther Williams diving into a lagoon and swimming backwards in sync with one of her dreamy swim partners like Fernando Lamas.

It works but I can't be thinking this way all the time.