Monday, October 22, 2007

Ferris Wheel

A little over a mile from my home is a huge Catholic church and school. Every year they have a carnival. It's a big deal. For days we see the rides coming in on big flatbed trucks. At night you can see the lights from the Ferris wheel for blocks and blocks.

Unlike some carnivals, everything at this three day event always looks clean and new.

For 12 years, at this time of year, I've driven by the carnival at night and and wished I was there having fun. It never happened. I could have invited a friend or family member to go with me but I never did.

Besides, for many of those years, I would have either had to push a wheelchair or make complicated arrangements to get out of the house alone.

This past Saturday night my Boyfriend and I walked to the carnival at the Catholic church. It was jammed with people. Truly a mini version of a state fair midway.

We rode the Ferris wheel.

When we first met in Chicago two years ago, after several months of a daily pen pal relationship, one of the most romantic things we did was ride the giant Ferris wheel at the Navy Pier.

This one was smaller but it brought back great memories. And what a view we had!

We waited in a long line. It was fun watching people on the scarier rides. The young couple in front of us helped my Boyfriend take a picture of me with his camera.

Lots of yummy junk food all around. We shared a Dove Bar ice cream. Then we walked home in the warm rain.