Monday, October 15, 2007

Body Image

My niece just wrote a blog about body image. She's still at the age and stage of life where I'm sure the competition is keen to try to stay "perfect."

My close friends and I have beautiful bodies. Some of them may not think this about themselves - but I do. I can close my eyes and describe each one. They're all different. They have different shapes and dress in different styles.

I'm happy with my body. I'm grateful that all of the parts still work. As I've become older I've expanded my ideas of beauty.

When I compare my hand to that of one of my newer grandchildren there is such a difference. Theirs are chubby and smooth. Mine is much more interesting. Sometimes I compare it to the hand of my Fake Parent. Hers is more beautiful still and tells us something about her 88 years on this earth.

My Boyfriend is comfortable in his skin too.

All of this doesn't mean that we don't work out every day because we do. But it's no longer about the image. It's about staying vertical as long as possible.