Friday, September 25, 2009

Should I Get a Tattoo?

I'm just kidding. I wouldn't get a tattoo. But a person whom I love and admire above most others has a little butterfly tattoo on her ankle. And it wasn't a youthful indiscretion. It's relatively recent. It's one of the things I love and respect about her.

Since coming home the only way I can get my daily two-mile-fast-walk in is to go to the mall. In Minnesota Dave and I were outside every day because the summer was cool and dry. Here the hot, wet air slaps me on the cheeks when I go out for the paper at 7 A.M.

It's only fair that Floridians occasionally envy Minnesota weather.

Anyway, I was happy to see that there aren't many empty spaces in my mall. In fact there are a couple of interesting new stores.

The first is a Tattoo Parlor called "Avenue Ink." It's sleek and upscale with red leather couches and catalogues on black lacquered tables. (At first I thought it was a Chinese restaurant.) The tattooing booths are in the back.

How do I feel about this? Like it or not, tattoos are now mainstream. It's a personal choice. Remember when only "bad" girls got their ears pierced? I understand that "Avenue Ink" is doing well.

The other interesting new store is large and sells only flip flops.


***