Friday, September 11, 2009

Life Story

Dave and I are apart for a time. Sad, but we both have important things to do where we are. But we'll be together soon because we're well aware that this is not a spring time romance.

It's a late fall love affair. It started in the later chapters of our life stories.

This was made even more clear when I came home a couple of days ago to find his voice mail. His close friend - who is married to his original wife and has a beauitful family - instead of going to rehab after heart surgery, has just been transferred to a hospice.

Just like that!

In 1975, thirty four years ago, I wrote a poem called "Life Story." The first editor I sent it to, sent it back with a note saying "What do you know about a life story" at your age?

It did eventually get published and over the years I've heard from people who (unfortunately) related to it. I reread it after receiving Dave's voice mail.

LIFE STORY (written in 1975)

We met in Chicago in the spring,
And I was wearing a navy coat (remember the
one with the funny buttons and the big loops?)
And we fell in love that day.

We married in the little church in the park,
And the world was bright and warm and clear
And I though,
"There must be a God somewhere looking down on us."

In the years that followed, (there must have been
bad times but I remember only the adventure)
You loved me and you were my strength,
And I began to know,
"Yes, there really is a God."

The children were born - and grew,
And our love took on new meaning - new scope -
new dimensions,
And I wanted to shout to the world,
"There is a God who loves us all!"

Then they were gone, (it seems we had them such a
short time)
And we settled back to living in each other.
And I said,
"God is good."

Then one day you were gone - just like that -
you were gone.
I am alone.
The pain is unbearable and yet there is no alternative.
I am confused.
Is there a God?
Where is he?


***