Friday, September 25, 2009

Leadership Styles


When I was doing consulting work one of the things we did was train mangers. For many years we've known that the way to be successful in most any endeavor is to treat your customers and your employees well.

This isn't rocket science (although I did work at the Cape.) It's common sense.

But we continue to glorify mean bosses even in these hard times.

A new movie (documentary) came out today called "The September Issue." It's about Vogue editor Anna Wintour, the same woman who was glorified in the movie "The Devil Wears Prada."

Since we're no longer in indulgent, extravagant times, it'll be interesting to see how this new movie does. I, frankly, don't understand why we put up with tyrants, especially ones that rule the fashion and gourmet food industries.

That's partly because I don't understand the importance of these industries. Anna Wintour has been quoted as saying that people "mock" fashion because they're afraid of it.

Yes, I admit it. Some of those outfits in Vogue really scare me.






***