Monday, September 14, 2009

More About Memory

I started teaching a Bible study last night. One of the participants, an elderly person I've known and respected for a very long time, told me privately that he'd never read the book of Acts before so when he started reading it this past week he was disturbed at times.

Now, normally, I love having people tell me they're disturbed or excited or any other emotion they've experienced after reading a portion of the Bible.

Sometimes I get a little freaked out myself.

But here's what I know about this man. He knows the Bible. He's been in church and study classes his whole life. He's been in my church for almost as long as I've been alive.

Here's what I think: He's forgotten.

So here's my question: What does it mean when we forget the source(s) of our value systems? When we forget the foundations of which we've built our integrity as people.

If I should experience serious memory issues will I forget who I am?

Or is that permanently established - a Done Deal?

Maybe this is all the information I'll need:

Jesus loves me, this I know,
For the Bible tells me so,
Little ones to him belong,
They are weak but he is strong.


***