Thursday, September 24, 2009

Do You Want to Get Well?

I know, this question seems like a no-brainer but it's among my favorite Jesus quotes.

Today a woman called to tell me her husband died. She was sobbing so much that I could barely understand her. I immediately offered to go right over to her house but she said she'd come to mine.

As it turns out her husband died five months ago. Her grief is as fresh as the first day. She stayed with me for two hours and never stopped talking about herself and her feelings. The couple of times I tried to distract her or tell her something of myself she had no interest.

Nor did she have any interest in counseling or medical help for her depression.

I realize the above makes me seem horribly insensitive.

But here's the thing. The last time I talked with her was about a year after my husband died. I happened to see her in a store and she spent half an hour crying and telling me how much she missed my husband. I finally had to take her into a little tea shop to get her calmed.

I know she's ill. Help is available. But she doesn't want to get well.


***