Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Celebrate Life

Recently I've been having some conversations with a friend about end of life issues. Mainly about what's on the other side. This isn't an academic issue with him. He'll by leaving us soon - and he's hungry to have conversation about where he's going.

Theological concepts he's never questioned before are now paramount and somewhat troubling.

I'm honored that he talks to me. I know what it's like to question your faith with the wrong person.

Next week our church is having a healing service. I recently heard a person telling about how somebody she knew (or knew of) was instantly healed of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) after attending a healing service.

To me, that's not what healing is necessarily about. Because here's an absolute fact.

We're all gonna die.

Isn't healing about accepting that fact and celebrating life anyway - with the assurance that the next life will be even better?

I hope my friend comes to this celebrating and assurance. But, whatever he does, I'm honored to be his friend to the end.





***