Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Good Mom

When my kids were growing up I'm sure they thought I was sometimes hard on them. I ran a tight ship. They would accasionally ask:

"Did you say 'No' because you don't want me to do this or because we don't have the money?"

I occasionally replied, "Both. But I hope even if we had the money I'd still be a good mom and say 'No.'"

Less than a week ago the president spoke to several million school children. Hard to believe because he's been in so much hot water since then.

I thought what he said was moving, insightful and inspirational Following is my favorite part.

...some of you are probably wishing it were still summer and you could've stayed in bed just a little longer this morning.

I know that feeling. When I was young, my family lived in Indonesia for a few years, and my mother didn't have the money to send me where all the American kids went to school. So she decided to teach me extra lessons herself, Monday through Friday - at 4:30 in the morning.

Now I wasn't too happy about getting up that early. A lot of times I'd fall asleep right there at the kitchen table. But whenever I'd complain, my mother would just give me one of those looks and say, "This is no picnic for me either, buster."

That's my idea of a good mom.


***