Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Older Brain

Yesterday morning my phone rang. I picked it up and saw on the caller I.D. that my urologist's office was calling. I thought "Why?"

But it wasn't my urologist's office. It was my dentist's receptionist calling to remind me of my appointment today.

Somehow my brain transposed the names.

So she and I had a crazy conversation where she tried to tell me I had an appointment and I told her I didn't. She finally set me straight.

If that happens when you're 40 it's just embarrassing. When it happens at my age I think "Jeezz...is my brain shrinking or something?"

When I saw her in the dentist's office today I, of course, apologized again - and then said "Didn't you want to just come over to my house and slap me?"

She laughed and then told me that she gets calls all the time from the patients of the gastro guy across the street describing symptoms she knows nothing about.

Don't know if she was telling the truth but it made me feel better.


***